Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Next Big Thing: Essence (book 1 of the Runes) @yaednah_walters @ednahwalters

Today, I get to play with a few of my fellow authors.

The Next Big Thing is a blog circle where authors tag each other, giving fellow authors an opportunity to share their current Works in Progress (WIP).

Monique DeVere tagged me, so I'm grabbing the baton and off we go! Thanks, ladies! :)

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

 


What is your working title of your book?

ESSENCE (book #1 Runes).

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I love mythology, any kind of mythology, so I was reading on runes and their origins when the idea popped in my head.

What genre does your book fall under?

YA Paranormal Romance with mystery and suspense.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Torin St. James could be played by Greg Vaughn

Raine Cooper could be played by Michelle Trachtenberg

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Raine believes her new neighbor is superhot, until he marks her and insists he has to protect her from others like him, but he forgot to tell her who will protect her from him.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It depends on my agent. If she finds a home for it, then great. If not... I don’t wait around for anybody. Life is too dang short.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I started it 6 weeks ago (I thought about it for three months). I had 30,000 words when I joined Nano and my target is 80,000. I’m presently at 62,000…

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Need by Carrie Jones

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I’m re-watching the TV series Charmed and one particular episode stayed with me, so I started doing research on Norse mythology, runes and magic.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

If you like mythology, strong, yet vulnerable heroine, and a hero willing to break rules for love, then you should read this.



EXCERPT:


I lifted my chin, hating that I had to look up at him. At five-seven, I was above average for girls, but he was taller. Six-one or two, I’d guess. Worse, my face stared back at me from the surface of his dark sunglasses, making me feel like I was talking to myself.

“Stop being rude and condescending for starters,” I said.

He chuckled, the sound rich and throaty. Sexy. A delicious shiver ran up my spine. “I thought I was being extremely polite.”

I snorted. “Right.”

“Do I need to apologize?”

The mockery in his voice said he wouldn’t mean it. “Not if you don’t mean it.”

He shrugged. “Then I won’t.”

I debated whether to just step back and slam the door on his face, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. He was looking for Sayre. “Okay, what’s the favor?”

“Tell your boyfriend he and I need to talk. Today. In the next hour if possible.”

That annoying, commanding tone got to me again. I saluted him. “Yes, sir.”

He chuckled then did something strange. He reached out and touched my nose. “Cute. Nice meeting you, Raine with an E.”


*****

Tagging Monique Devere and Teresa Blue

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting, Ednah!

    Bet your fans will be waiting with bated breath for this one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see. It is very different from my other YA series. This one has more romance. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete